The new Jewish cemetery in Lviv was founded in August 1855. It was located on the Pilipovye hills and passed near Janovskaya street. In 1856 a synagogue was erected on the territory of the necropolis, and in 1875 a road was built from Yanovsky Street (now Eroshenka). After another 15 years around the cemetery grew a low fence, and 19 years later, near its main entrance, a small administrative building was erected.
The Jewish cemetery began to be destroyed already in 1943. In the spring of this year, the pre-funnel building (bet-tahara) also sunk into oblivion. However, after the end of the war, the Lviv Jewish community put order on the graves, found and buried the remains of the executed Jews, erected a granite obelisk in memory of them and restored the bet-tahara in the administrative building. In 1962, according to the direction of the Soviet power, the Jewish community ceased to exist, and the necropolis was annexed to the nearby Yanovsky cemetery.
Now Jewish graves are mostly located around the central alley. They are cleaned and fairly well preserved, compared to many burials in other cities of Ukraine. Among the graves one can find monuments to Emmanuel Blumenfeld, Nathan Leuvenstein, Emil Bull, Rabbi Schwabacher, Ehezkil Karo. They are very respected people of the Jewish community.